Friday, January 21, 2011

Religion Part 1 - With a Side of Dreams

For my benefit I write this post. For my anxiety I disclose these words.

In the last thirty six hours I’ve purged five times. I feel completely out of control.

Session with Therapist was deeply disturbing today, but I don’t feel as bothered by it as I do the dreams that hacked at my sleep all night. It was the usual dream: my being around abuser X and abuser X denying what he did to us and me just trying to make him admit it. In the dream there were the other “family” members who were so non-chalant to his presence. Everyone was acting normal towards him. Both sides of the “family” was there, which was an odd part of the dream. I never speak to the other side of the family, not because I don’t like them, I just feel like they don’t “get” me and don’t understand how to handle me.

We have a cousin who is older than us by just a couple of years and in this dream she was going through a hard time. She was sleeping on the floor or an air mattress like we do because beds terrified her. I asked her questions and was surprised to get responses. It turned out she was me, just inverted. She had just begun to deal with the abuse by her older brother. She reminds me of a member of my system.
This dream has rocked my world today. The anxiety has been unbearable and I just want everything to stop. I don’t want to do this anymore. It’s more than I bargained for. It’s more than I can handle. I feel like I’m doing this alone and I want to stop. I want to effing stop this "journey."

I could have brought this up with Therapist today, but we were too busy being disturbed by a different topic on the table: religion. I don’t like discussing religion or my beliefs. My beliefs are significantly different than some of the other crew members and I don’t want to be blasphemous to something they believe.
We were raised very religious. Christian. I’ll leave out the name of the specific denomination because I don’t want to put it in a difficult light. Even though I don’t believe in it, I can still respect it enough to protect it. But I want nothing to do with religion. I remember the birth mother shoving it down our throats, always pulling out her study books, trying to teach us, and acting superior to us. She always tried to quiz us on various topics and events in the Bible, “just for fun.” Only it wasn’t fun for me. In addition, the place of worship became an unsafe place for me. I remember being around eight years old and refusing to close my eyes during prayer because I wanted to know what was going on around me, not because I was afraid of prayer, but I was afraid of what happened when I closed my eyes. It was protective.

I also hated the songs. They were beautiful songs, and Birth Mother taught them to us before we could read them. The songs were very inspiring and would pull on our heart strings, but I don’t go for that emotional bull sh*t, so I didn’t like it. I know the music would make some members cry, but I don’t think it was a good cry. I think they cried because the music made them feel empty and deficient.
The damage by abusers had already been done. We were already emotional and tearful and not put together well. So when the music was added to our emotional state the result was feeling empty and helpless.

That’s enough m*effing, bull sh*t for now. I’ll write more later.

1 comment:

Paul from Mind Parts said...

I'm so sorry you've been having trouble with eating. Maybe saying these words and talking will help?